Weaving with sticks

Posted: July 31, 2016 in Uncategorized
Tags: ,

So, I’ve been thinking about my taxonomy projects. (I started these sets of works after hearing a colleague talk about her MFA program assignment in which she made 10 sets of 10 works. I am going with sets of 5 and using the term ‘works’ very loosely.)

Over the course of last school year, I did a lot of taxonomy sets with blackout poetry. I liked playing with words and felt more comfortable with that. However, I have also tried to branch out a bit.

I actually started this particular project the summer before last. As I was wondering around my neighborhood with my kids, I noticed all the dried lily and daylily stalks in people’s gardens. (I did not really wander into other people’s gardens. I stuck to plantings along the road.) The sticks pull right out, and we may have wandered around using them as light sabers or swords for awhile. However, we are collectors at heart and thought the sticks might be good for some project or other. They have nice branched bits at the ends and are a reasonable size. So, we headed back out for more collecting. At some point, I thought that about weaving, but I’m not sure when. I also realized that I had quite a bit of yarn odds-and-ends as well as some colorful wire. I have to admit I am not sure whether I got some of the yearn before or after the sticks. Anyway, I finally sat down and got to weaving. It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. Isn’t that always the way. The stalks are not straight and do not stay still. I think this was my first attempt.

IMG_6098

I didn’t think enough about curved or not curved sticks, so I just let some of them pop out and excluded them from weaving as I went. I probably should have started with a regular shape. So, next time I paid a little more attention to the sticks, and I tried regular shapes and added some wire and bread loaf tags at the top.

IMG_6102 copy

On this one, I may have started at the top and moved down so that the weaving got easier rather than harder.

IMG_6103 copy

This one is all straight lines and regular shapes, which is not usually my thing, but I think it works. I have it in my new office at school.

IMG_6113

I had put this project away for awhile; there are only so many of these things you can have around. But, then earlier this month I picked it up again; I had some more ideas. I started with the idea that I could add other items to the weavings to add interest to regular woven shapes and tried to think about how to relate the type of yarn and other objects. The first one has a large spoon in the middle, which I have not figured out how to attach just yet. I need a way to get it to stay there without pulling at the yarn. I like the combination of the darker stalks with the natural wool and the metallic spoon. (The picture could be better.)

IMG_6101 copy

Finally, this one incorporates a piano part that I also had sitting around waiting to be used for something. I was thinking about those woven chair seats and wanted a way to have really thick yarn, which I did not have or want to pay for. So, I used eight strands together. I think this one is one of my favorites.

IMG_6100 copy

I made another one or two that don’t make the top 5. I might try to incorporate words into the next set or go with more piano parts, which I just may have sitting around.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s