So, I’m still thinking about the taxonomy project that my colleague talked about at a faculty meeting. I know, still thinking about something from a faculty meeting is pretty big.
Anyway, after my first set of things (painted horse shoe crab shells) I thought about keeping with the idea of altering found objects. Because I am not really a good enough artist to be able to create from scratch quickly enough to maintain this project, and I have a day job, altering found objects seemed like a good way to keep with the creative, multiples, and quickness aspects of the project while giving myself a break on some of the technical art skills. I took a quick look around my house and thought about what objects were around and staring me in the face. All these bread bag tags stared back at me, or at least I thought they did.
I started thinking about what to do with all of these little, multi-colored pieces. However, what came to mind was tiny paintings on them. Too much skill required for that. Turning them into something besides the equivalent of a macaroni necklace wasn’t very inspiring either. I still think there is an idea to be had with these things, but I have put them aside for the moment.
Instead I turned to paper and collage. Working with one Sunday edition of the New York Times and the Financial Times and their respective Sunday magazines, I made small collages or back out poetry with words and images. Each finished little image has words or images from only one section of the paper. I focused on the Magazine and Arts & Leisure sections for the most parts. Here are a number of images. Each one is 5 3/4 x 8 1/2 inches, because that is the size of the paper in the little sketch book I found in my art closet.
I love the word “flâneur”. The text is from an Hermès ad, the sheep are from an ad for wool something.
These three images are all collections of image bits from the New York Times T Magazine, September 13th, 2015 edition. I just kept cutting out rectangles until I didn’t want any more and then grouped them. #1 consists of all home images from one story. I realized I had a lot of white images and so sewed a piece of vellum that I painted with watercolor as a background for those. The final set is “this and that.”
Finally, I tried a black out poetry idea, but with an image blacking out the words rather than marker. I chose the words I wanted to keep, made a template from which to cut any other image, and looked around. They don’t really need a wider audience at this point, but once there are more, maybe.
One of the things I like about this project is the fact that there are constraints which provide some structure. Not everything is an option, which is fine. If I stick with the newspaper as a starting place, I may use the crossword puzzles next or do more with blackout poetry, always a favorite of mine.