So, I’ve been thinking and writing about seating arrangement a lot this year. Just on the off-chance that you didn’t catch those earlier posts, I’ll summarize quickly. I did some reading over the summer about seating and then bought tables from IKEA that were not only inexpensive, but easily move around the room. Then, even though I thought the new arrangement was great, my students surprised me by saying that there were some things about sitting in rows that they liked. So I went back to the drawing board and made a new plan.
My idea of a new plan was not really that new. I asked for input from my class and then it fell off the to-do list. But, it’s back on the list–and at the top. Today I set up the room in yet another arrangement for our morning work. It was temporary, but made me start to think that the real problem was with my lack of imagination about the whole thing. For the rest of the day I got flashes of crazy ways to arrange the room. Whenever my students were out of the room I was tempted to start moving desks, chairs, and anything else that wasn’t nailed down.
But then I thought that I should really put this back in the hands of my students, as I had originally planned. Having put it off, if only for a few weeks, I am more ready to push them and myself to think WAY outside the box.
Here’s my plan: tomorrow morning I will ask for volunteers to be involved in a remodeling plan. Anyone who is interested is welcome to join. In groups of 3ish students will have a chance to make a proposal for our new plan–however outlandish it may be. Then we’ll vote or combine plans or something.
Wish me luck!